Until you can get the bird to the vet, put it in a hospital cage. This has saved many lives. To make a hospital cage:
- Get a very small cage such as a travel cage.
- Put it on a heating pad and turn the heat to high.
- If there is a grate at the bottom of the cage, remove it. Put a few paper towels at the bottom of the cage.
- Place a small dish of water onto the bottom of the cage. Also put a small dish of food on the bottom of the cage.
- Cover the cage tightly with a smooth sheet, tucking it in all around tightly, leaving only a small opening in the front to look through and let in a little light.
- Then cover the sheet with a blanket.
The cage interior should reach 90F. This heat boosts a bird's immune system and can save its life. And for an egg-bound female bird, this extra heat helps her pass the egg, possibly saving her life.
Resource Article Tag: